Homemade Naan Recipe
- Preeti Deepa
Updated : January 20, 2022 05:01 IST
Don’t have yeast but craving for some hot, buttery naans? We’ve got you covered with this easy homemade naan recipe.
There isn’t a single North-Indian curry that doesn’t go perfectly with naans. Naans are the most commonly made leavened flatbreads from Indian cuisine. In older days, naans were made from starters left from previous batches. Eventually, yeast replaced the starter dough and became the king of leavening agents. However, making naans at home isn’t an easy affair especially when you are out of leavening agents like yeast. But no worries, we have got you covered with this easy naan recipe with all the basic ingredients.
Preparation time- 15 minutes
Cooking time- 15 minutes
- 2 cups refined flour (maida)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons grated garlic
- 1/2 cup curd
- 1/4 cup lukewarm milk
- 2 tablespoons melted butter/oil
- Add all the dry ingredients to a mixing bowl.
- Give them a good stir and add butter/oil and knead by gradually adding the lukewarm milk until soft and pliable.
- Cover and rest the dough for one hour to two hours.
- Post the resting time, divide the dough into round balls and tuck the edges inside.
- Flour the rolling area and roll the balls into ovals. Spread some water with a kitchen brush on one side.
- Heat a griddle or tawa and place the side with water on the hot tawa.
- After you see bubbles on the naan, flip the tawa with the naan and roast it on the open flame.
- Remove the naan and brush some butter to finish.
- Do not sprinkle more flour on the rolling area. Too much flour will toughen the naan.
- Over kneading the dough will result in tough naans.
- It's better to hand-stretch the naan for a softer texture.
Naans are extremely versatile and can go with a variety of dal and curries. You can also skip the resting or reduce it to 10 mins in case you are having a busy day and pack hot, buttery naans in your office lunch box and have a hearty feast.