Here's A Meticulous Way For Beginner Bakers To Make Lemon Squares
- Aishwarya Khanna
Updated : January 20, 2022 05:01 IST
How do you make a lemon square that always retains the silky texture and the sweet and citrusy balance?
At the very core, a lemon square is a delicious dessert consisting of a shortbread crust and lemon filling. The flavour is so rich and fine! So how do you make a lemon square that always retains the silky texture and the sweet and citrusy balance? It’s all about the technique and level of expertise you carry. The best chefs know what they have to do. But if you are a newbie, and have just picked up the spatula by chance, then this recipe will surely be of help.
Even though you’re just a beginner, here, we have explained the steps meticulously, in order for you to make lemon squares that'll taste extraordinary. Just follow the steps below:
FOR THE CRUST
1/2 cup of sugar
2 cups of flour
2 tablespoons of unsalted butter, at room temperature
1/2 teaspoon of salt
FOR THE FILLING
2 cups of sugar
2 tablespoons of grated lemon zest
1 cup of lemon juice
1 cup of flour
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- Cream the sugar and butter, using an electric mixer.
- While slowing down the speed of the mixer, add the salt and flour.
- Put the dough on a baking tray, and start pressing it down so that it takes the shape of the tray. But try and build a 1/2 inch edge on all sides.
- Chill in the fridge for 30 minutes, or an hour.
- Put the dough in the oven for 15-20 minutes, until it turns brown.
- Remove the tray from the oven. Allow the crust to cool down.
- For the lemon curd, combine eggs and sugar in a bowl.
- Whisk them together, until well combined.
- Slowly add the flour while you continue to whisk.
- Add the lemon juice and lemon zest.
- Pour the filling over the crust.
- Bake the mixture 180 degrees Celsius for 15-20 minutes, until the filling is set.
- Chill at room temperature.
- Sprinkle powdered sugar on the top.
- Using a knife, make criss-cross patterns.
- Slice out the lemon squares slowly.
We hope you enjoyed this recipe!