Harry Potter Reunion: Sort Your Harry Potter Marathon Menu With Harry's 11th Birthday Cake
Updated : January 27, 2022 14:01 IST
Are you planning a Harry Potter marathon party this new year? Here’s the best thing you can add to your menu.
“It's not every day the young man turns 11, now is it?” Does this sentence ring a bell in your mind? Are you already on a nostalgic ride to your childhood? Well, only Potterheads know the joy of snuggling on holidays and binge-watching/reading Harry Potter. We usually transcend all boundaries and get transported instantly to the world of wizardry and witchcraft in the first minute itself. Keeping all the exciting magic aside, it's fair to notice that Harry Potter is no less an exciting ride for foodies too. From the chocolate frog and the lavish feast in the Great Hall of Hogwarts to butterbeer and Harry’s birthday cake, the world of Harry Potter is filled with all things indulgent and scrumptious to the gills.
As the series is completing 20 years of casting magic on us, our hearts are filled with gratitude and love for the series and the cast alike. So, as a way to celebrate the magic that Harry Potter has cast on us for the last 20 years, we have a recipe that will help you recreate Harry’s 11th birthday cake that you can ‘accio’ at your dining tables in no time.
- 1 ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- ½ cup cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 3 eggs
- ½ cup oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup warm coffee
For the frosting
- 2 cups soft butter
- 8 tablespoons heavy cream
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- Red food colouring
- Green food colouring
1. Combine the dry ingredients separately and mix well to combine.
2. Add the eggs and sugar to a mixing bowl and mix well to combine. Add the oil, buttermilk, vanilla extract and the coffee to the bowl and stir well.
3. Add the dry ingredients to the bowl with the wet ingredients in batches and fold them in.
4. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Divide the batter evenly in three different pans and bake them for 18-20 minutes i.e. till a toothpick poked comes clean.
5. For the frosting, beat the butter and sugar till the mixture is smooth and is well-combined.
6. Add the vanilla essence and cream and beat the mixture till it’s light, airy and fluffy.
7. Take a big portion of the frosting in a bowl and add red food colour.
8. Add green food colour to the portion left and mix well to combine.
9. Once the cakes are done, cool them completely and add one sponge to a cake plate.
10. Spread one scoop of frosting over it and place another. Repeat this for the last sponge too.
11. Once you have assembled three sponges, top them with the red coloured frosting and spread it evenly.
12. Take the green frosting in a piping bag and write “Happee Birthdae Harry” over it to match Hagrid’s spelling.
Now that you know how to make something similar Harry’s 11th birthday cake, you know what to make for your Harry Potter marathon party. (wink wink)