Enjoy Low-Calorie Dhokla With The Help Of A Microwave!
- Slurrp Affiliate
Updated : March 18, 2023 06:03 IST
Craving for something light and healthy for breakfast or snacks, why not try Dhokla? While you may think that making dhokla takes too much time, don’t worry! With this microwave recipe, you can whip up a batch of dhokla in minutes. Plus, you won't have to worry about consuming a heavy breakfast or snack because dhokla is known to be a low-calorie treat. So why not give Dhokla a try? It's perfect for any time of day.
What Is Dhokla?
Originating from the western Indian state of Gujarat, Dhokla is a delicious and healthy snack that has captured the hearts and palates of people across the country and beyond. Soft, fluffy and light, Dhokla is a steamed cake-like dish perfect for breakfast, a snack, or even a light meal. What sets dhokla apart is its versatility - it can be made with various ingredients like semolina, rice flour, gram flour, and even cheese!
You May Also Like
In addition, this Gujarati delicacy can be enjoyed with various sweet and spicy chutneys, making it a popular snack that has stood the test of time. So, if you're a foodie or a health enthusiast, there's no denying that dhokla is a delightful and flavorful snack that can brighten your day.
How To Make Dhokla In A Microwave?
Everyone has their unique method of preparing dhokla according to their taste and preferences. However, one needs to remember that if you need your dhokla to be spongy, then it is always good to keep the batter fermented overnight. Dhokla can be made with many variations, but the most famous one is with the besan, also called Khaman. It is assumed that dhokla can only be made in a pressure cooker, but that’s not the fact; it can also be made in a microwave. Let’s now cook up this Gujarati delicacy quickly and easily by following the instructions below.
- 1 Cup besan (Gram Flour)
- 1 tsp suji (Rawa)
- 1 tsp ginger+green chilli paste
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ Lemon (Juiced)
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 2 tbsp curd
- 1 cup water
- 1 tsp fruit salt (Eno) to give the fluffiness
- 2 tsp oil
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- Few Curry leaves
- 2 Green Chillies
- 1 tsp sesame seeds
- Grated Coconut
- Coriander leaves
Follow the steps below to enjoy the perfect microwaved low-calorie Dhokla
- Take the besan in a large bowl where the ingredients can be mixed properly
- Add sooji and ginger with green chilli paste in it
- Mix them thoroughly and then add salt and lemon juice to mix it again
- After adding turmeric powder and curd to the mixture, whisk it properly
- Pour some water into the mixture and keep whisking it till the batter becomes thick enough
- Once the batter is thick, put some fruit salt and mix it for a few minutes
- After mixing it thoroughly, transfer the batter into a microwave-friendly bowl and put it on high power for 6-8 minutes.
- Heat the oil in a pan and then add the mustard seeds
- Once the mustard seeds start to crackle, add curry leaves and green chilli and saute it well
- Add sesame seeds and some water and mix it well
- Cut the Dhokla into pieces and garnish it with freshly grated coconut and chopped coriander
- Pour the tempering over the prepared dhokla and serve it!
Tips For Making Low-Calorie Dhokla:
- We all know that a dhokla is soft and fluffy, which can be only possible by using the right ingredients. It is always recommended to add a small amount of sooji (rava) with besan so that the texture is soft.
- Allow the batter to ferment so that it becomes thick. But make sure it is pourable at the same time. This trick will make the dhokla spongy. It is also advised to let the batter sit for 30-40 minutes.
- Make sure the batter is whisked multiple times. This helps in the aeration process and gives a smooth texture. Always remember to whisk the batter in one direction only. If whisked both ways, the batter may not rise properly.
- The fruit salt which is added to the batter should be mixed evenly.
- If you serve the dhokla later, sprinkle some water over it to keep it fluffy and soft.
- Remember to grease the pan enough, so the dhokla does not stick to it.
ASIN ID - B07RY7Q5YV
So, this is how you can prepare microwaved Dhokla in a healthier way. If you have liked our microwave recipe for making this classic Gujarati Snack in a quick way, make sure you prepare it today and enjoy the dish with friends and family.