Festivals are all about indulging in sweets, fried foods, and many other delicacies. But at times, over-indulging in such foods may leave us with indigestion issues and an upset stomach. Detoxifying your body post long weekend is a great way to maintain hydration, eliminate toxins and provide a healthy dose of antioxidants. Though our body is quite efficient in detoxifying, conscious additional support can work wonders.
Let’s discuss some of the ways to rejuvenate our body post a long weekend.
- Fresh Fruits And Vegetables: Try to keep your meal light. Have homemade food and include fresh fruits and veggies in salads, juices, soups or smoothies. It is a great way to provide relief to our digestive system from oily, greasy and sugar-loaded foods. In addition, antioxidants and micronutrients present in fruits and vegetables support our liver and kidney function.
- Homemade Detox Drinks: Lemon water, cucumber and mint juice, fresh beetroot juice, apple-cinnamon water, tomato juice, ginger, and mint water are some of the quick, convenient and reliable options which one can include in the diet—sipping on these the entire day aids in getting rid of bloated stomach, constipation and other digestive issues.
- Avoid Excess Salt And Sugar Intake: Processed and packed foods are generally high in salt and sugar content. They not only increase sodium load on the body but also the incidence of weight gain and obesity. Therefore, make a conscious attempt not to have sweetened beverages, sodas, chips or any junk.
- Exercise: Begin your day with a light exercise like walk, stretching, breathing exercises or meditation. This helps in relaxing the muscles, soreness and cramps. In addition, exercise also suppresses the levels of the cortisol-stress hormone in the body and stimulate the release of happy hormones.
- Increase Fluid Intake: Keeping your body hydrated is very important to maintain and restore the lost electrolytic balance of the body. Drink green tea (including other herbal teas) and have lots of water. It acts as an instant remedy to flush out toxins from the body.
(Inputs provided by Nutritionist Aman Puri, Founder, Steadfast Nutrition)