Rice Vada To Coriander Rice: 5 Easy To Cook Recipes For You
- Tavishi Dogra
Updated : January 20, 2022 05:01 IST
Five nutritious rice recipes for the health-conscious ones.
As Indians, rice is an ingredient that occupies a special place in our hearts. And in different regions in the country, it is incorporated in countless other ways in our regular meals. Yet, many choose to stay away from this grain due to its less nutritional value. Recent studies have suggested rice has lost its nutritional value over the years. The depleting amounts of nutrients in wheat and rice are due to the country's ever-increasing production of food grains. However, according to many experts, rice consumed in smaller quantities is, in fact, necessary for a balanced diet as it can provide a generous dose of energy while improving bowel movements, as well as regulating blood sugar levels. That said, if you love to eat rice but are often faced with the thought of inadequate nutrition levels, we have a solution for that. You can improve the nutrition value of your everyday rice by just adding fortifiers that are available in the market, like NuShaktiTM power mix, which is made with organic rice, and adds 400% more Vitamins B6, B12, Folic Acid and minerals like Iron and Zinc to a person’s regular rice. The best part is, it contains zero preservatives.
Ramya Ramachandran, clinical nutritionist, lactation consultant, and a diabetes educator in Chennai, shares a list of 5 easy to cook nutritious recipes for rice lovers that you can whip up quickly when you are pressed for time to get yourself the much-needed nutritional fill.
You May Also Like
Coriander Curd Rice
- Nothing is more soothing than a bowl of coriander curd rice on a hot, humid summer afternoon—another easy rice recipe filled with nutrition.
- Ingredients: Rice, curd, mustard seeds, red chilli, urad dal, salt, ghee
- Step 1. Add curd, salt, and cooked rice and mash it well and keep it aside.
- Step 2. Heat the ghee, add the urad dal, red chilli, and hing and fry it for a few seconds in a small pan.
- Step 3. Add coriander leaves, stir thoroughly. Now serve and enjoy the delightful taste.
- Popularly known as Thayir Sadam, Daddojanam, or BagalaBath, curd rice is a famous South Indian rice preparation. The recipe is one of the simplest rice dishes and requires only a handful of ingredients.
- Ingredients: Rice, ¼ cup of milk, ½ teaspoon mustard seeds, one tablespoon Sesame oil, ¼ teaspoon of urad dal
- Step 1. Add the rice to a 2-litre pressure cooker, then add 1.5 cups water and stir.
- Step 2. Pressure cook rice until it is thoroughly prepared. Check the rice for tenderness, then mash it with a spoon or a masher.
- Step 3. Stir properly and add salt as per flavour. Heat a small pan, add one tablespoon sesame oil, and then put ½ teaspoon of mustard seeds.
- Step 4. Fry the dal till it becomes golden, mix well and pour it on the rice, and your curd rice is ready.
Cabbage Fried Rice
- When you are tired and need a clever fix for a filling meal, cabbage rice is what you go for.
- Ingredients: Rice, one tablespoon of cumin seeds, 1-inch cinnamon, two green cardamoms, two cloves, one tej pasta, 1/3 cup of chopped onions, ½ inch ginger, four garlic, green chillies, tomatoes, garam masala, 1/2 teaspoon coriander powder, cabbage
- Step 1. Heat oil, add the whole spices - 1 tsp cumin seeds, 1-inch cinnamon, two green cardamoms, two cloves and one small to medium tej patta in a frying pan.
- Step 2. Add 1/3 cup chopped onions. Next, add four medium garlic, crushed 1/2 inch ginger, 1-2 tomatoes and green chillies.
- Step 3. Crush a mortar pestle. Then add 1/4 tsp red chilli, garam masala, turmeric powder and 1/2 tsp coriander powder.
- Step 4. Stir and cook the whole masala at a medium temperature until the tomatoes soften and become pulpy.
- Step 5. Add shredded cabbage now. Combine the cabbage and the remaining masala ingredients in a large mixing bowl.
- Step 6. Season to taste with salt. Combine the rice and cabbage mixture in a small mixing bowl. You also have the option to add the rice in batches and combine thoroughly, then cook for 2-3 minutes, and the dish is ready to be consumed.
- In rice dishes, you can also try some deep-fried rice vadas. It is cooked with leftover cooked rice.
- Ingredients: Rice, curd, flour, chopped green coriander
- Step 1. In a bowl, combine a cup of curd with a cup of water. At low temperature, stir a cup of rice flour. Slowly pour it in and whisk it in.
- Step 2. After grating the ginger baton, add a quarter teaspoon of salt and an inch of it to the batter. Then, start heating the batter after thoroughly mixing all of the ingredients.
- Step 3. After it has been cooked, add some chopped green coriander and stir well. It will take 4 to 5 minutes to prepare.
- Step 4. Heat the oil for frying the Vadas. Apply some oil to your palms, then raise and roll a dough lump. Softly flatten it and poke a hole in the centre with your fingers.
- Step 5. Assemble all of the Vadas in the same way. To cook the Vadas, you'll need more than just heated oil.
- Step 6. On a medium to high temperature, add a Vada and take it out after frying.
- Step 7. Now fry the rest of Vadas likewise.
- Step 8. Rice Vada is ready to be served, and you can take it with a dip for an enhanced experience.
- This is an authentic all-time favourite of people across the country.
- Ingredients: ½ cup rice, ½ cup moong dal, one teaspoon ghee, ¼ tsp turmeric, ½ tsp salt, 1 tsp cumin, one bay leaf, a pinch of hing, one onion, ginger garlic paste, dal, coriander
- Step 1. Firstly, rinse and soak ½ cup moong dal and rice for 10 minutes in a large bowl. Next, add soaked rice, dal and heat 1 tsp ghee in a cooker.
- Step 2. Add ½ tsp salt, ¼ tsp turmeric, and 3 cups water. Cover and pressure cook for 5 minutes. In a large utensil, heat two tablespoons of ghee.
- Step 3. Add 1 tsp cumin, one bay leaf and pinch hing.
- Step 4. Now add one onion, 1 tsp ginger garlic paste and tomato and saute well.
- Step 4. Then add ¼ tsp turmeric, 1 tsp chilli powder, ½ tsp garam masala and ½ tsp salt.
- Step 5. Then add cooked rice and dal. Add water and cover, then simmer for 5 minutes or until the flavours are absorbed well.
- Step 6. Finally, add two tablespoons of coriander and enjoy dal khichdi with pickle and curd.