Easy Recipe Of Vada Pav That Can Amp Up Your Evenings
- Ria Baidya
Updated : January 20, 2022 05:01 IST
Making an authentic batata vada takes much less time than you think, which is why this yummy street food can easily become your go-to evening snack.
Maharashtra is known for its vivid street food culture, whether it is pav bhaji, vada pav, kanda poha, bhaji or bhel puri everything just tastes amazing and make you want to come back to them. But we have to admit, that there is something about the classic vada pav that makes us go weak in our knees. This iconic street food can be found in every nook and cranny of the state. The vendors usually serve this delicious treat on a paper plate with flavourful batata vada and chilli inside the burger shaped pao which is topped with either spicy green chutney or red chutney, this combination of flavours makes the street food a lip-smacking delight.
An authentic batata vada can be rustled up in a few minutes and this yummy street food can easily become your evening snack. The nice thing about the vada is that you can play with the ingredients as you can include various vegetables which could make this dish a healthier treat. So, here’s the recipe of the iconic vada pav.
• 2 medium sized boiled potatoes
• 4-5 garlic cloves, finely chopped
• 4 nos green chillies, finely chopped
• ½ teaspoon mustard seeds
• Pinch of asafoetida (hing)
• Pinch of turmeric powder
• 2-3 curry leaves
• 1 to 2 tablespoons coriander leaves, finely chopped
• 1-1 ½ cups gram flour (besan)
• 1 pinch baking soda
• ½ cup water or add as required
• salt as required
• Pav buns
Preparations for batter:
1. In a bowl add gram flour, 2 nos chillies, turmeric, hing and salt. After that slowly add water and make a thick paste which is runny in consistency. Make sure there aren’t any lumps.
2. Add a pinch of baking soda and stir it well. Keep it aside.
Preparation for vada:
1. Take a non-stick pan and add a few drops of oil to heat it over medium-low flame. Add mustard seeds and curry leaves, when they begin to crackle. Add garlic cloves, salt, pinch of turmeric and 2 nos green chillies. Sauté the mixture well.
2. Then add the boiled potatoes and coriander leaves. Mix all the ingredients together and let it cook for at least 3-4 minutes. Make sure the potato mixture is not sticking to the pan. If required, you can lower the flame according to your needs.
3. Turn the flame off. When the mixture is cool enough, start making small round shaped balls out of it. And keep it aside.
4. Take a pan and heat oil over high flame, for deep frying.
5. Then take the potato balls and douse it in the batter. Strain the excess batter. And drop it in the boiling oil carefully.
6. Let it fry until the balls are golden brown.
7. Now take the pav buns and put the vada inside it. If you like you can enjoy it with chutney and a raw green chili for the authentic feel.