Buttermilk Khichdi: Give Your Regular Khichdi A Delicious Spin
- Aanchal Mathur
Updated : June 21, 2022 11:06 IST
Chaach wali khichdi adds the tangy flavour of buttermilk to the khichdi, giving it a rich, dense and irresistibly delicious taste.
The humble khichdi has been a staple meal since eras. A mix of lentils and rice, the classic khichdi is a comfort food for many. Simple, satisfying and scrumptious, a wholesome bowl of khichdi speaks volumes about both health and taste. Easy to cook and easy to digest, there's nothing we don't like about khichdi. It is a one-pot meal that is often spruced up with a flavourful desi tadka and dollops of ghee. However, khichdi is one such dish that need not follow any strict recipe. People in different homes cook it differently, often giving their own spin. Besides experimenting with different types of lentils, grains and veggies, one can also add in choice of spices to make it even more interesting. From moong dal and arhar dal to oats and sprouts - people make khichdi using every ingredient possible.
For instance, today we have ‘chaach wali khichdi’ which adds the tangy flavour of buttermilk to the khichdi, giving it a rich, dense and irresistibly delicious taste. Rest is your choice to use veggies as per your own choice. Buttermilk or chaach is a refreshing ingredient, that is light on stomach and extremely good for the digestive process. It is widely used in Indian curries, especially suring the summer season since it is cool on the stomach.
In our recipe of chaach wali khichdi, the khichdi is cooked as usual, in a pressure cooker, with the addition of the vegetables. Then the buttermilk is added, mixed with a little bit of besan to round off the dish, and for density. Here’s the full recipe:
Ghee- 2 tbsp
Cumin seeds- 1 tsp
Asafoetida- 1/2 tsp
Ginger (chopped)- 1 tsp
Green chillies (finely chopped)- 2
Tomatoes (chopped)- 2
Turmeric- 1 tsp
Red chilli powder- 1 tsp
Salt to taste
Carrot (chopped)- 1 cup
Rice- 1 cup
Moong dal (soaked)- ½ cup
Arhar dal (soaked)- ½ cup
Water- 3 cups
Buttermilk- 2 1/2 cups
Gram flour- 2 tsp
Garam masala- 1 cup
Coriander leaves (chopped)
1. Heat ghee in a cooker, add cumin seeds, hing, and let them splutter for a while.
2. Now add ginger, green chilli, tomatoes, turmeric powder, red chilli powder and salt to taste. Cook till oil leaves the sides.
3. Next add veggies of your choice. We’ve only used carrots but you can also add cauliflower, peas, and any other vegetable that you may like. Cook them well.
4. Add soaked rice, moong dal, and arhar dal. Add water as per the consistency desired, and pressure cook it until one whistle.
5. Now add some besan in a bowl of buttermilk, mix well and add to the khichdi and mix well.
6. Cook again covered for 5-6 minutes.
7. When done add garam masala powder and some chopped coriander leaves on top.
8. Serve hot with a dollop of ghee atop.