This cabbage dish is perfect for someone who is on a keto diet and wants to eat low-carb food. Baked cabbage steak is a salty side dish that goes best with fried chicken and meat dishes. You can also serve it as a snack.
Here’s how to make tender and salty cabbage steaks.
- 1 cabbage ( red or green )
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- ½ lemon slice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoon olive oil or sunflower oil
- 1 teaspoon fennel seed
- Sweet vinegar ( optional )
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Line a standard-sized baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Pour one spoon of olive oil on baking paper to prevent sticking.
- Wash the cabbage head thoroughly and peel the outer leaves.
- Cut the cabbage into half-inch slices 'steaks' using a long knife.
- Arrange the cabbage slices on greased baking paper.
- Brush cabbage slices with remaining olive oil.
- Squeeze the lemon juice over the cabbage steaks.
- In a mixer grinder, add fennel seeds and black pepper and grind. To give an authentic flavour of spices, you can use mortar and pestle for grinding black pepper and fennel seeds.
- Generously sprinkle ground black pepper and ground fennel seeds in cabbage steaks.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until the edges turn golden. In between, turn each side and cook for another 10 to 15 minutes.
- Drizzle a few drops of sweet vinegar in the baked cabbage ( optional ).
- Serve it with mayonnaise dip.
Tip: You can also sprinkle some brown sugar on the baked cabbage steaks to add a little sweetness.