As you age, your body demands more nutrients since the growth of cells and tissues of the body slows down. As a result, problems like upset stomach, weakening of bones and muscles, fatigue, and lack of physical activity become more common. But healthy eating habits can help keep you manage these conditions better. So if you want to look young and be healthy, start consuming these essential fruits and vegetables.
- Tomatoes: The lycopene found in tomatoes helps prevent wrinkles. Researchers have found that adding five tablespoons of tomato paste to your daily diet increases the level of pro-collagen in your skin. It makes your skin firm and increases its ability to protect against ultraviolet rays by about 33 per cent.
- Pomegranate: A study revealed that pomegranate slows down the ageing process of DNA. Therefore, regular consumption of pomegranate can slow down the process of DNA oxidation along with anaemia in the body.
- Whole grains: Eat whole grains to get fibre. It will help balance blood pressure and keep metabolism in check. Instead of refined grains like bread and rice, use whole grain products like brown rice, oats etc. Research shows that increasing the use of fibre in the diet can control wrinkles.
- Orange: Orange is considered a mine of vitamin C. Apart from this, it is also a mine of other nutrients like Vitamin A, B complex, flavonoids, amino acids, calcium, iodine, phosphorous, sodium, manganese. The anti-oxidants present in oranges reduce wrinkles on the skin along with ageing.
- Spinach: Vitamin E, iron, fibre and organic nitrate are found in green leafy vegetables like spinach that prevents wrinkles. As per a study in the Journal of Agricultural Food Chemistry, spinach is rich in beta-carotene and lutein, and these two nutrients improve skin elasticity.
- Green tea: Green tea is made from unboiled green leaves. This is why it contains high levels of polyphenols, a chemical compound whose pigments act as an anti-ageing agent, reducing wrinkles from the skin and giving it photoprotection.
- Jambolan: The berries are outstanding in preventing the risk of destruction of cells. Like strawberries, raspberries, potatoes and blackberries, they also contain anthocyanins, which protect us from heart disease and cancer.
- Watermelon: Watermelon is rich in antioxidants, vitamin C, lycopene and potassium that regulate the balance of water and nutrients in cells. If you consume it regularly, there would be no wrinkles on the skin.
- Olive oil: The fat found in olive oil is very beneficial. It contains heart-healthy omega 3s, which improve and make the skin rosy and supple.