Tteokbokki: Know How To Make This Famous Korean Street Food
Updated : January 20, 2022 05:01 IST
Pyaari baarish thi. Chai-pakode bhi ready the. Par ye dil maange Korean! Oh no! don’t worry. We aren’t going Spotify’s way. But we have something better for your breaks. Scroll down to know more.
No matter how your day is, how much you have eaten, what you are craving, there is always some room left in your tummy for some Korean delicacies. Korean cuisine is full of bold, umami flavours which are a perfect fit for every mood. One such dish is the famous Korean street food- Tteokbokki. It's a stir-fried rice cake dish usually paired with eggs, scallions, or Eomuk. Tteokbokki is a pungent, umami, savoury, and sweet bowl of comfort food that you can count on easily on your bad days. Here is the recipe if you want to try it.
- 3 Dashi stock (you can get it online)
- 350 grams of Korean rice cake (you can get it online too)
- 2 tbsp oil
- 2 thinly sliced onions
- 3 tbsp chilli paste (gochujang)
- 1 ½ tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 ½ tsp chilli flakes
- 1 tsp vinegar
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp sesame seeds
- 2 half-boiled eggs
- 1 tsp green onions, chopped
- Soak the refrigerated rice cakes in hot water for 10 minutes to soften them.
- Meanwhile, heat a pan and add oil. Once the oil is hot, add the chilli paste, chilli flakes, minced garlic, soy sauce, vinegar, sugar and salt and cook for two minutes.
- Add 2 cups of Dashi stock and bring it to boil.
- Add the soaked rice cake and cook for 5-7 minutes until they are soft and tender. Don’t forget to keep stirring it.
- Now add the onions and the remaining cup of stock and cook until the onions are soft.
- Drizzle the sesame oil on top, sprinkle some sesame seeds and green onions on top and remove it from heat.
- Cut the par-boiled eggs into half, garnish the tteokbokki with them and serve hot.
You can replace the eggs with Korean fish cakes or scallions and alter the spice quantity as per your preferences. Tteokbokki can be refrigerated for a day or two and you can add some stock while reheating it to release the sauce. It is a great option for a romantic date night to be gobbled down with some soju on the side.