To Drink Or To Slurp? This Basundi Recipe Will Put You In A 'Sweet' Dilemma
- Ria Baidya
Updated : January 20, 2022 05:01 IST
Basundi is one of the fine desserts from our detectable desi sweets.
Basundi is an Indian dessert that traverses regional boundaries due to its sheer decadence. It is quite popular in several states across the country such as Maharashtra, Gujarat, Andhra Pradesh, Telangana, Tamil Nadu and Karnataka. Basundi is a sweetened condensed milk which is made by boiling milk that is flavoured with saffron and a host of chunky nuts and dry fruits. This sweet dessert is often regarded as the cousin of another delicious dessert rabdi, which is mostly savoured in the northern parts of India during winters.
Indian desserts always have a rich layer of flavour to it, that you would not find anywhere else in the world. The enticing flavours of the basundi is one of the fine examples from our range of desi detectable desserts. Basundi is mostly savoured during Indian festivities, but you do not need a special ocassion to have it. This sweet-treat is quite easy to prepare and you only need a handful of ingredients. The best part of preparing this dessert is that you won’t be needing any special kitchen appliance or ingredients. You just need a little time and patience but believe us the result is worth-it. So, here’s the recipe for basundi.
- 1 ½ liters full fat milk
- A pinch of saffron
- 4 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp cardamom Powder
- 2 tsp rose water
- Crushed dry Fruits (almond and cashew)
1. In a heavy bottom pan add milk and heat it over medium flame. Let it come to a boil.
2. Then add saffron to the milk and stir it well.
3. Simmer the heat and let the concoction thicken. It may take approximately 1 hour.
4. Make sure to stir the concoction while it is thickening.
5. When it is reduced to half, add the remaining ingredients and give it a good mix.
6. Let it boil for another couple of minutes and then turn off the flame.
7. Garnish it with dry fruits.
Gorge upon basundi in any way you like whether chilled or piping hot.