Tabouli Salad: A Favourite On The Dining Table In The Middle East
- Aishwarya Khanna
Updated : January 20, 2022 05:01 IST
Mezze is a big part of the dining experience in Middle Eastern and Arab countries, and you might know that tabouleh is served in the mezze platter.
Tabouli is a wonderful recipe to add on your list of salads you just cannot miss. A little misconception about this dish is that it’s only called ‘tabbouleh’, when in fact it can be called tabouli — whatever you decide. The popularity of tabouli salad in middle eastern cuisine is due to the use of edible herbs. In Lebanon, people have been celebrating ‘National Tabbouleh Day’ on the first Saturday of the month of July since 2001.
Mezze is a big part of the dining experience in Middle Eastern and Arab countries, and you might know that tabouleh is served in the mezze platter (small portions or appetisers) which is a part of multi-course meals. To bring a taste of tabbouleh to you, we are delighted to share this lip-smacking recipe with you. If you are a fan of middle-eastern food and would gorge on it the first chance you get, here’s how you can make your very own tabouli salad. You’ll see just how finely the ingredients have to be chopped, and that interestingly, the dressing has to be added to bulgur wheat so it has time to soak up the flavours of lemon and olive oil. This is one unique recipe you must definitely try. When you have a huge gathering, as people do in the Middle East, this salad makes an appearance next to the kebabs and shawarmas, and anything else too really. If you want, you may also wrap the salad in a lettuce leaf when it’s done.
Photo: Sian Rose
- 1 tomato
- 1 onion
- 1/2 cup mint leaves
- 1 cup parsley
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 lettuce head (optional)
- 1 1/2 tablespoon bulgur wheat
- A pinch of salt, to taste
- A pinch of pepper, to taste
- Prepare the dressing by whisking lemon juice, olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Now toss in the bulgur wheat in the dressing. Set aside, so that it soaks up the flavours.
- Next, chop the tomato, mint leaves, onion and parsley. Here, please take care to chop everything as finely as you can.
- Now add the dressing to the salad mix. Toss properly.
- Refrigerate for an hour.
- Optional: You may wrap the salad in a lettuce leaf if you want.
- Serve with pita, kebab or shawarma.
We hope that you’ll enjoy this recipe!