Slurrp Finds: Hyderabadi Biryani Recipe From Star Plus Show ‘5 Star Kitchen ITC’ Chef’s Special’
Updated : August 17, 2021 11:08 IST
Biryani lovers, we bring to you the biryani of your dreams.
Hasn’t it been your dream to replicate the exact recipes you watch in your favourite cook shows? Want your biryani to have the same colour, the same texture and even though you cannot smell the scent of dishes that are being prepared on other side of your TV, you want your dishes to be equally fragrant as well. Which is why, we fetched the recipe of the all-time classic Hyderabadi Biryani from the Star Plus show ‘5 Star Kitchen ITC’ Chef’s Special’. The show brings together chefs from premier restaurants of the country to make dishes close to our heart.
Biryani is a one-pot medley of rice, meat and spices. Though traditionally Biryani is supposed to be non-vegetarian, but now there are vegetarian versions as well. Biryanis in India are of many kinds, like Kolkata Biryani, Ambur Biryani, Lucknowi Biryani, but arguably one of the most popular variants of Biryani is the Hyderabadi Biryani. This Nizami marvel is prepared in ‘Dum’ style. Here is a recipe from Chef Guarav Singh of ITC Maurya.
Hyderabadi Chicken Biryani
Method: Chicken Biryani
1. Wash chicken in running water, pat dry with clean cloth. Take a heavy bottom pan or handi, heat ghee. Add dehydrated onions, cook till they are brown.
2. Now add the Biryani cooking paste into the pan. Followed by 600 ml of water. Mix till the paste is dissolved.
3. Beat yogurt with whisk and add to the pan. Add chicken, allow it to cook.
4. Reduce the gravy till it thickens and gets a nice coating consistency.
5. Now on to the rice, wash and soak rice for around 20 minutes.
6. Boil water in another pan, add the whole spices, salt (30gms) & lemon Juice.
7. Add the rice and cook till it is 2/3rd done.
8. Now for the garnish, fry cashewnuts in ghee. Then fry dehydrated onions in ghee until they are brown.
9. Now it is the time for assembly. Layer the handi with cooked chicken and boiled rice. In another pan heat ghee, cream and boiled rice water. Take this ghee-cream mixture and add it to the Biryani handi. Sprinkle rose and kevda water.
10.Now in another layer of garnish, add split green chillies, mint leaves, brown onions, brown cashewnuts, saffron dissolved in water.
11.Seal the pan or handi or patila in which you have assembled biryani, line the lid with dough.
12. Put it on the iron griddle and cook it for 15 minutes.
13.Serve with burrhani raita or onion raita.