The key to making a delicious Rogan Josh is to get hold of the best quality mutton and add the right flavours by using high quality Indian spices like cinnamon, nutmeg and bay leaves.
Here is how you can make rogan josh with yogurt and a mixture of many different spices.
- 500g lamb or beef ( use cubes of shoulder and legs )
- 3 ½ tablespoon ghee
- 2 finely diced onions
- Chili ( as per taste )
- 1 ½ cups beef stock
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 tablespoon garlic ginger paste
- ¾ cup yoghurt
- ⅓ cup cream
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 bay leaf
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon garam masala
- Lemon juice ( optional )
- Take a skillet and fry the onions in the ghee until golden. Add chili, cinnamon stick, nutmeg, bay leaf, ginger garlic paste and mix well.
- Add the lamb/beef to the skillet and cook over medium heat for 10 minutes. Cook in low flame, letting it imbibe all the beautiful flavours of the lamb.
- Add beef stock, salt and tomato paste and simmer in an open skillet for 20 minutes, until the paste looks thick. Stir occasionally.
- Mix the yogurt, garam masala and cream and simmer for about 30 minutes, until gravy is reduced. You can add a pinch of sugar and lemon juice to balance the flavour.
- Add a little water if necessary. Cook for one more minute and turn off the heat. Garnish it with chopped coriander leaves.
Enjoy this hot and tender rogan josh with butter naan or roti to make your meal even better.