Puffed Rice Upma Recipe: A Delicious Guilt-Free Snack For Those Busy Mornings
- Ria Baidya
Updated : January 20, 2022 05:01 IST
Puffed rice upma is a lip-smacking snack that can be made anywhere, anytime.
Puffed rice holds a special place among the regional snacks of India; it is known by various names like puri, mudhi, murmuri and pori. Many snacks can be made with them ranging from jhal muri, bhelpuris, churmuras and countless numbers of famous chaats that can be found across the country. Puffed rice is made from the reaction of the starch and moisture under the effect of heat which is similar to popping popcorn. Puffed rice is relatively low in calories, making it the perfect snack for those trying to shed some weight. And to make this journey more interesting, we bring you the guilt-free snack that you can munch on whenever you are craving something ‘chatpata’. Puffed rice upma is a lip-smacking snack that can be made in a jiffy and enjoyed by everyone. The speciality of this dish is that you can add ingredients of your own choice to make it healthier and more suitable for your lifestyle.
Here’s the recipe for healthy puffed rice upma.
- 3 cups puffed rice
- 1 medium-sized onion, finely chopped
- 2 nos. green chilli, finely chopped
- ½ tbsp mustard seeds
- 1 tbsp chana dal
- 1 tbsp urad dal
- 2 tbsp peanuts
- 2-3 curry leaves
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 2-3 tbsp of Oil
- Pinch of turmeric powder
- Salt to taste
- Take a bowl and add puffed rice and water. After a minute, drain the water. Make sure the puffed rice doesn’t get mushy. Keep it aside.
- Take a non-stick pan, add oil and heat it over medium-low flame. Add mustard seeds, urad dal, chana dal and peanuts. Roast the mixture until the peanuts turn crispy.
- After that, add curry leaves, turmeric powder, salt, onion and green chillies. Sauté everything together until the onions are translucent.
- Add the drained puffed rice. Mix it well and let it cook with other ingredients for another minute. Turn off the flame.
- Add lemon juice and mix it well.
Your healthy rice-puffed upma is ready to eat.