Minestrone is the most famous soup in Italy, which appeared during the First World War in 1914. With the inadequacy of food in the nation, farmers made a salty soup in which they combined greens and cooked all together in one container. The dish was made in the town square in an enormous container, and every family contributed the ingredients (they had and then) which came up with this "thick vegetable soup". Various varieties and types of vegetables can be used to make it, such as potatoes, carrots, meat, pasta, and rice. This soup can be served for lunch, dinner, or as an appetizer. Try this fantastic recipe at home that is jam-packed with nutrients.
- 5 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium-size onion (chopped)
- 1 medium-size carrot (diced)
- 2 medium ribs of celery (chopped)
- ½ cup tomato puree
- 2 cups seasonal vegetables (potato, zucchini, green beans, peans, yellow squash, and choice of your veggies, chopped)
- 4-5 garlic cloves (minced)
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- ½ tsp dried thyme
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups water (if needed)
- Salt and pepper, as per taste
- 2 bay leaves
- Pinch of red pepper flakes
- 1 cup whole grain pasta (elbow or small shell pasta) uncooked
- ½ cup kidney beans / white beans (boiled)
- 2 cup baby spinach/ kale/ collard greens (chopped)
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- Freshly grated parmesan cheese (optional)
- Freshly chopped basil
How To Make Veg Minestrone Soup?
- Take a pan, heat some olive oil; once the oil is hot, add bay leaves, minced garlic. Saute for 20-30 seconds.
- Add chopped onions, celery and saute it for a couple of minutes or so.
- Add diced carrots with the chopped choice vegetables and a pinch of salt. Cook for another two minutes, till the veggies begin to soften a bit.
- Now add kidney beans / white beans and mix. Then add tomato puree and saute it for another 5-7 minutes on medium flame.
- Add vegetable broth with the pasta. Mix everything and then cover the pan. Let it simmer for 5-7 minutes.
- Open the pan lid, add chopped spinach, dried thyme, oregano, flakes, and salt.
- Again simmer it till the pasta is thoroughly cooked or ingredients are properly mixed.
- Once it is done, ladle your vegetarian minestrone into the serving bowl and top with a dash of lemon juice, chopped basil, and grated parmesan cheese.
Serve the warm soup immediately!