Make This Swedish-Style Baked Meatball Pasta For Dinner
- Pragya Jha
Updated : July 01, 2022 09:07 IST
A juicy classic meatball and rich and creamy pasta, what else do you need for a comforting wholesome dinner?
These meatballs are made with hot spices cooked to the perfect taste of this simple creamy sauce. There is a reason why these meatballs have become so popular all over the world. Each country has its own version of meatballs, but Sweden can match its version with Italy, which is full of spicy taste and baked in a creamy, aromatic sauce. What you generally see in an Italian restaurant is not the same pasta we use in this recipe. The Swedish meatballs are smaller and they have a mixture of nutmeg and pepper instead of spices.
A traditional Swedish meatball is made with sour cream, however, you can replace it with heavy cream or whole milk. For this pasta recipe, sour cream is much easier to bake with the pasta and the rich taste goes better with the pasta.
- 3 tbsp butter
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 16 oz uncooked shell pasta
- 16 oz. turkey meatballs ( frozen )
- ½ cup sliced onions
- 2-3 cups low sodium beef or chicken broth
- ⅓ cup sour cream
- Salt and pepper as per taste
- 2 tbsp fresh chopped parsley
1. Preheat the oven to 375 °.
2. Use a 9x13 inch pan and spray with non-stick cooking spray. Cook the pasta as per the instructions in the package. Set the pasta aside, once cooked.
3. Take a saucepan and turn the flame to medium heat. Add the chopped onions and cook for 5 minutes or until they get tender.
4. Add the flour and mix until smooth. Add the beef or chicken broth one cup at a time, whisking evenly. Cook for 2-3 minutes until it thickens. Add the sour cream after removing it from the heat.
5. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Add the pasta and meatballs; mix until covered with the sauce.
6. Top with fresh parsley. Transfer to a prepared 9 x 13 pan and bake for 30 minutes.
Make this Swedish dinner and serve hot.