Maharashtrian Recipe: How To Make Chicken Kolhapuri At Home?
- Gatika Pal
Updated : January 20, 2022 05:01 IST
Kolhapuri cuisine is known for its spicy dishes and is incomplete without the special kolhapuri masala. Learn how to make chicken Kolhapuri.
This authentic kolhapuri chicken curry recipe is a must-try for those who love to eat spicy food. In addition, this Maharashtrian chicken dish is perfect for serving guests at lunch or dinner parties. So, prepare this delicious chicken recipe at home and woo your guests with your culinary skills.
- 1 onion (sliced)
- 1- inch ginger (chopped)
- 10-12 garlic cloves
- ¼ tsp fenugreek seeds
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- 1 tbsp coriander seeds
- ½ cup grated coconut
- 1 tsp white sesame seeds
- 10-12 dried red chilli
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder
- 2-3 green cardamoms
- 2 black cardamom
- 2- pinch cinnamon
- 1 blade of mace
- 4-5 cloves
- 1 small piece of nutmeg
- 8-10 black pepper peppercorns
Marination Of The Chicken:
- 1 kg chicken (with bone)
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- Kolhapur masala
To Make Gravy:
- 2 tomatoes (puree)
- 1-2 bay leaf
- 2 onions (chopped)
- 1 handful of coriander leaves
- 2-4 dried red chilli
How To Make Kolhapuri Masala:
- Step first is to prepare the kolhapuri masala, heat the pan with some oil on medium flame. Add all the above whole spices and saute them for a minute.
- Add sliced onions, ginger, and garlic cloves. Saute until they b became golden in colour. Once it is done, keep it aside on a plate.
- Dry roast fenugreek seeds, cumin, fennel, coriander seeds, and dry red chilli in the same pan. Roast for a minute, then add coconut, poppy seeds and sesame seeds. Mix well and saute it. The light turns golden in colour.
- Add turmeric powder with 1⁄2 cup of water and grind it. Kolhapuri masala is ready.
- Time to marinate the chicken pieces with lemon juice, salt, and prepared kolhapuri masala. Set it aside for 30-40 minutes in the refrigerator.
- Heat oil in a heavy kadhai or vessel on medium heat. Add bay leaf and saute it for a second.
- Next, add chopped onions and saute until golden in colour. Add marinated chicken and cook until masala starts to leave from the sides. Add tomato paste and salt and cook for 5-7 minutes.
- Add 1 cup of water. Stir well, cover and cook for 15-20 minutes or until the chicken is thoroughly cooked.
- Add freshly chopped coriander leaves and remove from heat.
- Lastly, heat 2 tbsp of oil on a small pan over medium heat.
- Add dried red chilli or byadagi red chilli and fry it for a minute or less.
- Immediately pour the tadka over the chicken gravy.
Your chicken Kolhapuri is ready. Serve hot with naan, roti or rice.