Khoya Peda: This Janmashtami Sweet Is So Easy To Make That You Can Ditch Your Halwai This Year
- Ria Baidya
Updated : August 19, 2022 03:08 IST
The birth of Lord Krishna is seen as a pious day for Hindus and many devotees offer their Bal Gopal, with an array of milk products.
Indians always have a reason or two to binge on sweets. None of our festivals are quite complete without a round of mithai. We are all gearing up for Janmashtami, and hence we have another reason to load up on ladoos, pedas and barfis.
The birth of Lord Krishna is seen as a pious day and many devotees offer their bal gopal (idol of baby Krishna) an array of milk products. Many believe that Lord Krishna was fond of milk and used to savour ghee, butter and curd with great enthusiasm. Thus, devotees also whip up dishes with milk to please the deity.
On this holy day, many worshippers like to make savouries and sweets at home itself to offer as prasad. Making desserts at home from scratch is often seen as a difficult work but with this recipe of Khoya Peda, you can churn up a delicious dessert in no time. It is rich in milk and dry fruits and too delicious to resist. So, without further ado, here’s the recipe for sumptuous Khoya Peda.
- 1 litre full cream milk
- ¼ cup fresh khoya
- ½ cup sugar or as required
- 5-6 tbsp milk powder
- 15-20 (soaked almonds and cashews)
1. In a thick bottom pan, heat milk over medium flame. Make sure to continuously stir it until it comes to a boil.
2. After that lower the flame and scrape the sides, then again keep stirring till it turns creamy. Then cook on medium flame until it thickens (30 mins approx.).
3. Now, add sugar with khoya and cook on low flame. Stir the mixture continuously until everything is combined.
4. After that add milk powder, and soaked almond and cashew into it. Add cardamom powder and mix the concoction well. When it thickens to a smooth paste, turn off the flame and keep it aside for it to cool down.
5. After it cools down, roll the mixture into small balls or pedas and if you like you can garnish it with dry fruits.
Your yummy Khoya Peda is ready.