There are so many recipes where it is mentioned to use a stock, but you replace it by adding water, skip that step, or make a perfect stock or clear broth? So here is the recipe for making veg and non-veg stock at home with limited ingredients full of flavour, spices, and aroma. You can also preserve this in your fridge for up to 3-5 days. Just add herbs, water, veggies, and chicken, and your perfect stock is ready to be devoured.
Vegetable stock is low in fat and is simple and easy to prepare.
- 2 tbsp olive oil/ butter
- 1 large onion (diced)
- 2 stalks celery (chopped)
- 2 large carrots (chopped)
- 8-10 mushroom buttons (sliced)
- 1 medium tomato (chopped)
- 1 bunch of green onions (chopped)
- 8-10 garlic cloves (minced)
- 1- inch ginger paste
- 6-8 fresh sprigs of fresh parsley
- 6-7 fresh sprigs of coriander
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp freshly crushed black pepper
- 4 cups water
How To Make Vegetable Stock?
- Take a big deep pan. Heat some oil/ butter into it.
- Add minced garlic, ginger and saute them for a couple of seconds. Just remove the rawness.
- Then add chopped onions, mushrooms, carrots, celery, tomato, green onions, and saute them on a medium flame.
- Now add 4-5 cups of water and bring to a boil for 7-10 minutes. After that, add the dried spices such as salt, pepper, thyme, chopped coriander leaves, and parsley.
- Cover it and again simmer for 30-45 minutes on a low flame.
- Once it is done, strain the stock and discard the veggies.
Let it cool completely, and then store this in an airtight container.
This basic stock recipe is made using chicken pieces and is used in many soup recipes.
- 500 grams chicken (bone-in)
- 15 cups water
- 1 big onion (cut into big chunks)
- 8-10 garlic cloves
- Ginger paste
- 2 strings of celery stalk
- 1 carrot
- 3-4 coriander stalks
- Few mint leaves
- 1 tsp whole peppercorns
- ½ tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1-2 bay leaves
- 1 tbsp vinegar
- Salt, as per taste
How To Make Chicken Stock?
- Take a large pot or a pressure cooker, heat some oil in it. Now add bay leaf, cumin seeds, chopped ginger, garlic saute for a second, and then add chicken pieces.
- Add chopped onions, celery, coriander, mint leaves, carrots, and mix all the chopped veggies with the chicken pieces.
- Add 15 cups of water and turmeric, peppercorns, and salt. Simmer it for 5-7 minutes and pressure cook for 3-4 whistles on low heat.
- Cook till the chicken is thoroughly cooked. Once the whistling is done, remove the chicken pieces with the help of a slotted spoon.
- Strain the remaining stock by using a sieve or cheesecloth.
- Pour into the air-tight lidded glass.
You can use this for up to 3-4 days, and if you freeze it, you can use it for ten days.