Makhana matar curry is a tasty main dish for dinner. It’s a mild Indian curry recipe from Mughlai cuisine. Makhana, also recognized as fox nuts or lotus seeds, are filled with zinc, iron, fiber, carbohydrates, and other beneficial nutrients. Lotus seed is cooked along with peas in a creamy, rich Mughlai gravy. This dish is best accompanied with tandoori, plain, stuffed naan, or white rice.
- 200 gm makhana
- 100 gm peas
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp cardamom powder
- ¼ cup cashews (paste)
- 1 tbsp khus- khus (poppy seeds, soaked)
- 1 tbsp kharbuja seeds (melon seeds)
- 2 medium onions
- 4-5 green chilli
- 1 star anise (chakri phool )
- 2 tbsp ginger- garlic paste
- 1 cinnamon
- 1-2 bay leaf
- 2 cardamom (black & green)
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 3 tbsp cream
- ¼ cup curd (thick )
- 1 tsp salt
- 4 tbsp ghee
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tsp Kasuri methi
- Water, as required
- To begin with this delicious malai makhana curry, first, you need to roast the makhana. Take a pan, add 2 tbsp ghee once it is hot, add makhana, and roast on medium heat till it turns crispy and easily break when pressed by fingers.
- Now take cashews, nuts, poppy, and muskmelon seeds, blend, and make a thick paste using a blender or mixer. (white paste)
- When it’s done, keep them aside to cool.
- Now time to prepare gravy; take a Kadai or the same saucepan, heat ghee and vegetable oil. Once it is hot, add dry sabut masala, cumin seeds, bay leaf, cinnamon, cardamon, and wait for seconds to crack. Add ginger-garlic paste, sliced onions, little saute them, then add chopped green chilies, Chakri Phool, and white paste that we have made with cashew nuts, poppy, muskmelon seeds in the mixer.
- Allow this to simmer on low heat, let it convert into pink and golden in color.
- After 8-10 minutes, add curd, mix well, and cook for 2-3 minutes; in this process, stir continuously.
- Now add peas and cook for another 10-12 minutes with the lid on. Stir in between.
- Add water if needed, or you can skip this step.
- Add cream, simmer it for 1-2 minutes, then add roasted makhana and cook for 5-7 minutes once it is done.
Before serving, add palm crushed Kasuri methi, chopped fresh coriander leaves, and pour little ghee over the makhana. Serve immediately with roti or white rice.