Gujrati Panki Recipe: Breakfast Called, It Needs A Revamp
- Mehak Vohra
Updated : January 20, 2022 05:01 IST
If you are bored of toast and eggs every day, try the Gujrati breakfast Panki.
A panki is a steamed rice batter that is steamed in banana leaves. It also uses dal to give it a nuttier taste.
This dish may not be as popular as the ubiquitous dhokla and thepla but it is just as good and much easier to make. The fermentation process might take time, but the overall recipe takes less than thirty minutes to prepare.
This is a great snack and also a wonderful breakfast food for days you need a quick grab and go breakfast.
1/2 cup of curd
Few banana leaves
1/4 tbsp of Heeng
1/2 tbsp of Cumin seeds
1 tbsp of Garlic
1 tbsp of ginger
3 green chilis
1/2 cup urad dal flour
2 cup brown rice flour
- In a bowl, add the rice flour, curd, salt and 3 cups of warm water and stir.
- Keep stirring till a thick batter is formed.
- Cover the batter and let it sit at room temperature for 3-4 hours. This engages the fermentation process.
- To prepare this dish, begin with chopping the green chilis finely.
- In another bowl, add a cup of water, then the hing, cumin seeds, ginger paste, chillis, garlic and ghee and combine together.
- On a banana leaf, spread some oil.
- Take a couple of tablespoons of the batter depending on the size of your leaf and spread thinly on the leaf.
- Place a pan or tawa on medium flame and let it warm up.
- Once warm, place the banana leaf on the tawa and let cook.
- Flip after two minutes and cook the other side.
- Cook till you can see brown spots on both sides.
- Take off the tawa and serve hot with chutney.