Craving fish curry? Follow this super quick and easy recipe of Goan Fish Curry, packed with the authentic taste of goa. For this recipe, you only need some essential ingredients that you can easily find in your kitchen. This traditional Goan recipe has a mouth-watering taste and aroma, and you won’t be able to stop yourself from delving into it. So, go crazy on this Goan Fish Curry recipe.
For the marination:
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 kg kingfish (surmai)
For the curry masala (secret ingredient):
- 1 tbsp coriander
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp fenugreek
- 2-4 cloves
For the gravy:
- 2 tbsp ginger-garlic paste
- 1 tbsp tamarind paste
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- ½ tsp Kashmiri red chilli powder
- 1 large onion (finely, chopped)
- 2 medium-sized tomato paste
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 4-5 green chilli paste/ slit cut
- 1 cup water or as required
- 1 tsp sugar
- 3-4 curry leaves
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- Freshly chopped coriander leaves
How To Make Goan Fish Curry?
- To prepare this deliciously rich, spicy curry, start by washing the fish pieces. Once it is done, extract all the extra water, put the pieces on a sieve, or pat dry the pieces.
- Now marinate the pieces using salt and turmeric powder and keep them aside for a while.
- Take a saucepan and dry roast the whole spices. Roast till it became fragrant.
- Once they are done, cool down a little bit and grind them in a mixer. Make grounded powder and keep this aside.
- Take a kadhai or a heavy bottom vessel. Heat the oil on a medium flame. Add mustard seeds and curry leaves. Crackle them a little. Add ginger-garlic paste saute for a minute. Add chopped onions and green chillies. Continuously stir it and add tamarind paste, tomato puree on an interval from time to time.
- Now add the spices, salt, red chilli powder, Kashmiri red chilli, and the grounded whole spices masala with some water.
- Cook it till the oil separates. Keep stirring the mixture. This process is crucial, and this stage needs more attention. Stir it to avoid the stickiness of the masala on the bottom.
- Meanwhile, rinse the fish pieces in running water and put them on a sieve so that the smell will go away.
- Once it is done, add coconut milk. Now add fish pieces. And gently mix them in a curry.
- Add some water if you need it. Taste the salt and spices, adjust as per your taste.
- Cover the fish and cook this on a low flame. Once it is done, garnish it with freshly chopped coriander leaves.
The Goan fish curry is ready; serve warm with plain white rice or roti.