Millet is one of the finest cereals in the whole wheat family. It is a vegan and gluten-free grain with a huge amount of fibre, antioxidants, and alkaline. Do you know that it is beneficial to eat millet at least 3-4 times a week? You can consume millet in various dishes like khichdi, rice, upma, pulav, pongal, or spicy chilla. Of course, you can make traditional millet, but mind you, and this lemon millet recipe tastes better than the regular one. Millet Lemon Recipe
Pressure cooker procedure :
- Wash one cup of millet thoroughly 2-3 times in running water.
- Please put it in the cooker, add 1½ cup of water, pressure cook on a medium flame and give one whistle. Let the pressure or steam release naturally.
- Cooldown the millets, use a fork or spatula and stir till there are no lumps in it. And keep it aside.
- Take a large pan (kadhai), heat the oil, add peanuts seeds and fry them until they turn golden brown. And put aside on a separate plate.
- Add mustard seeds, urad dal, chew nuts, cumin seeds (jeera), asafoetida (hing), curry leaves, green chillies, and fry for 30 seconds till the ingredients start cracking in oil.
- After 30 sec adds turmeric powder and onion. Saute them for a minute till the onion turns brown. And add peanuts to it.
- Add the cooled millets, and as per taste, sprinkle salt over them. And at last squeeze the lemon juice. Mix well.
- Garnish them with the coriander leaves and serve hot with coconut chutney, pickle, papad or raita as an aside.
Tip: You can also add your favourite veggies like capsicum, peppers, mushrooms, and broccoli.
Benefits Of Millets:
- Although millets are used to feed birds, these edible seeds are highly nutritious for humans too. Millet is famous worldwide and is served in African, European, and Asian cuisines. You can also have it in the form of millet cereals.
- Millets are full of protein, fibre, calcium and rich in other nutrients. You can eat them at any time as they are also perfect as diet food.
- They are suitable for preventing cancer, keeping the heart healthy, balancing the cholesterol level, strengthening the bones, have anti-ageing properties, and nevertheless, it aids from cancer and improves digestion.