Don’t Be Low-Key About Lauki, 5 Health Benefits Of Lauki You Must Know!
Updated : June 15, 2021 12:06 IST
One of India’s most beloved gourd vegetables, bottle gourd, which is also known as lauki or doodhi, is an excellent vegetable if you are looking to lose weight, improve digestion, boost heart health and get a fabulous skin!
There is an overwhelming discourse around eating local and seasonal food. At a time when we are filling our carts with avocados and kiwis, many renowned nutritionists are urging us to revisit our roots. Ever wondered why? That’s mainly because we have grown up eating certain kinds of foods, our body understands it the best and responds accordingly. Most of these locally grown and cultivated foods are also a treasure of health benefits. Take bottle gourd for instance. One of India’s most beloved gourd vegetables, bottle gourd, which is also known as lauki or doodhi, is an excellent vegetable if you are looking to lose weight, improve digestion, boost heart health and get a fabulous skin! It is replete with antioxidants, vitamins and anti-inflammatory properties that can do wonders for your health. Here are 5 benefits of lauki that will convince you to add the vegetable to your diet today.
1. Weight Loss: Bottle gourd is packed with water. About 92 percent of the vegetable is just water. It is tremendously satiating and super low in calories. It is good for your digestive system too.
2. Diabetes Control: Lauki has very low glycemic index. Lauki does not cause rapid sugar spikes, and gets metabolised gradually. Therefore, if you are a diabetic, you can think of including lauki in your diet and keep your blood sugar in check.
3. Good For Skin: Lauki is replete with vitamins such as vitamin C, A, E and K. Both vitamin C and vitamin E are known to boost skin health. They fight free radical activity that causes skin-ageing and dull skin. Vitamin C also regulates production of collagen.
4. Improves Digestion: Lauki is enriched with fibre. It helps regulate movement of bowel and boost digestion naturally.
5. Cools your body: Lauki is one of the best summer vegetables there is as it is also a natural coolant. It is light on tummy, easy to digest and is good for your gut too.
You can use lauki to make soothing curries or stews. You can also toss them in salads or smoothies.