Do You Know How Bread And Butter Pickle Came Into Being?
- Juhi Kumari
Updated : June 22, 2022 10:06 IST
Bread and butter pickle traces its roots back to the 1920s.
Sweet, crunchy, and salty in taste, bread and butter pickles are basically toppings that make your sandwich lip-smacking. We know many of you are listening to the term 'bread and butter pickles for the first time. Believe me, the same was the case with me a few days ago. Initially, I thought, it is a pickle made of bread and butter. However, that is not the case.
Bread and butter pickle is allegedly a depression-era staple. It is basically slices of pickled cucumbers stuffed between two slices of buttered bread. The dish traces its roots back to the 1920s. According to legend, a farmer couple named Omar and Cora Fanning started pickling small cucumbers that were otherwise of no use. They were doing this to exchange the pickles with their grocer for bread and butter as they were struggling to make ends meet. Hence, the name bread and butter pickle.
You require a few easily available ingredients at home to make bread and butter pickles. Read on to know its recipe.
- Cucumbers: 4 pounds (sliced)
- Small onions: 8 (sliced)
- Canning salt: 1/2 cup
- Sugar: 5 cups
- White vinegar: 4 cups
- Mustard seeds: 2 tablespoons
- Celery seeds: 2 teaspoons
- Ground turmeric: 1-1/2 teaspoons
- Ground cloves: 1/2 teaspoon
- Take a large container, add cucumbers, onions, and salt. Mix them well and cover with crushed ice. Let the mixture be as is for 3 hours. Drain, rinse and drain again.
- Now, take a Dutch oven, add sugar, vinegar and seasonings and bring the mix to a boil. Then, add cucumber mixture and bring again to a boil. Remove the oven from the heat.
- Transfer the hot mixture into hot pint jars. Make sure you leave 1/2-in. headspace and there are no air bubbles inside them. Close the lids perfectly and place jars into a canner with simmering water. Process for 15 minutes and then remove them from the water. Let them cool.