An American chicken chop suey is authentically not from America, and it originated in China, where this choupsey is named after Chinese chop suey. The American chop suey is made up of American flavors and spices. The chop suey is an irresistible sweet and spicy sauce spread on the crispy fried noodles. Chop suey, or “tsap sui” in Chinese, means “odds and ends”. This means the chop suey combines stir-fried meat and vegetables coated in a delicious sauce. This dish can be an excellent dinner to level up on different cuisines on the table. So try your hands on this crispy chop suey!!
- 200 grams noodles (vegetarian or egg noodles)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 ⅕ tbsp cornflour
- Oil, to fry
- 3 tbsp tomato puree
- 4 tbsp tomato ketchup
- 1 tsp red chilli sauce
- 2 tsp white vinegar
- 1 tsp sugar
- ½ tsp black pepper
- Salt, to taste
Other Ingredients :
- 2 tbsp oil
- Boiled boneless chicken (strips)
- 1 tsp ginger (finely chopped)
- 2 tsp garlic (finely chopped)
- 1 large onion (chopped)
- 1 medium carrot (julienned)
- 7-8 french beans (chopped)
- 1 capsicum (chopped/ julienned)
- 1 cup cabbage (julienned)
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 tsp cornflour and water
Instructions to make an American Chop Suey:
- To begin with a juicy recipe, you need to take a large saucepan, boil ample water, add salt, and slide noodles into it. Boil it for 7-10 minutes. Drain it and mix with 1 tbsp oil. Meanwhile, heat the oil in wok or kadhai. Once the oil is sufficiently heated, take a small handful of noodles, sprinkle cornflour over, and spread it out in the oil to form a disk. Once it turns crispy or golden in color, remove them from the oil and drain them on the kitchen paper towels.
- In the same oil, deep fry boiled chicken pieces. Till they turn golden in color, and also, keep this aside.
- Time to make the sauce; Take a bowl to add tomato puree, ketchup, red chili sauce, soya sauce, white vinegar, salt, sugar, black pepper powder till all the ingredients combine well.
- Take a kadhai or wok and heat 2 tbsp oil in it. Once hot, toss the ginger, garlic, and onion into it. Saute them and add chopped capsicum, cabbage, beans, carrots, and continue to stir-fry for about 5-6 minutes.
- Pour the sauce in the sauteed veggies, mix well and avoid the sauce scraping on the bottom of the pan. Slip fried chicken pieces into it.
- Pour the prepared corn flour water (1 tbsp cornflour + 2 tbsp water), stir it till it starts to thicken up, cook this for 5-8 minutes. Once it is done, remove and assemble the sauce.
- And lastly, take a pan, heat 1 tsp oil, break the egg, and half fry it.
Serving tip: Arrange a portion of fried noodles on a plate/ bowl, pour the sauce over it and top with a fried egg. Serve this hot!