Bihana Bhaja: Try These Fish Roe Fritters At Home
- Preeti Deepa
Updated : January 20, 2022 05:01 IST
Try this fish roe fritters recipe to pair it with your evening chai or serve it as a side dish.
If you are still wondering about the taste of these fritters, let us tell you that this recipe is exclusive to the state of Odisha. No Odia can imagine a perfect pakhala platter without ‘machha bihana bhaja’ (fish roe fritters). Odias generally make these fritters with Rohu fish eggs. Be it a roadside stall or a fish market, you’ll find fish roes everywhere in Odisha in the breeding season. Being an excellent source of vitamin B-12, omega-3 fatty acids and magnesium, fish roes are an amazing healthy snack option and side dish as well. The roes are washed and cleaned properly and are slightly mashed with a spoon or fingers to give them a creamy texture. If you are searching for a healthy snacking option or a side dish with rice, here’s the recipe for these fritters. Try them out!
- 200 grams fish roe
- 3-4 green chillies, finely chopped
- 2 medium-sized onions, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp garlic paste
- 2 tbsp rice flour
- 4 tbsp besan
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- Oil, for frying
- Salt, according to taste
- In a large mixing bowl, mash the roes lightly to give them a creamy texture.
- Add the chopped onions, chillies, and garlic paste and mix well.
- Now, add the spices and the binding agents (besan and rice flour) and incorporate well.
- Heat oil in a tawa and spread evenly.
- Add spoonfuls of the roe mixture and flatten them gently.
- Fry them on both sides on medium flame till they are cooked perfectly and are golden brown.
- Serve them hot with mustard sauce and some chopped onions.
Regionally, fish roe fritters are served with pakhala. If you want to try them as an evening snack, you can serve them with mustard sauce or any condiment of your choice.