5 Ways That Can Make Your Pasta A Healthy Treat (Find Secret Recipe Inside!)
- Jasmine Kaur
Updated : June 02, 2022 16:06 IST
With all the pastas on a restaurant menu that you’ll find today, it seems like Italians should learn to make it from us and not vice-versa. After all, we love infusing desi flavours in all the foreign dishes that are available here. Don’t get us started on the pasta fever in the country, with varieties like Makhni pasta, Butter chicken pasta, Pink sauce pasta and what not. There are two things that all these pastas guarantee: flavours and calories.
Right from the kind of pasta you choose to the sauce you add and other ingredients makes all the difference. We bet you thought there’s no way to change the Unhealthy image that pasta has acquired over the years. Here we are, with five easy ways to turn your craving into a healthy pasta bowl.
- Whole wheat pasta
We all know that all-purpose flour (maida) is not good for our health. Then why pick up that white pasta from the store? Select a healthy whole wheat pasta that is replete with bran and germs which do not harm your health.
- Add protein
Now if ¾ of your pasta bowl is just pasta, then you aren’t getting any nutrition. Fill up most of your bowl with protein. Use lean cut meats that are full of healthy fats. In case you are a vegetarian, beans and sprouts can be a good option to add to your pasta.
- Homemade pasta sauce
Firstly, it’s best to prep for a white sauce pasta occasionally. Because even a homemade one would require some amount of cheese and butter and you don’t want those extra calories. A red sauce can be easily prepared at home using tomatoes, onions and some spices with minimum cooking oil. You could also toss some avocados and basil for a pesto sauce if you like.
- Lots of veggies
Just like lean meats can provide you with protein, vegetables will be the apt source of fibre for you. Spinach, peas, avocados and almost any vegetable you prefer, goes well with pasta.
So, if you’re in the mood for pasta today, give Nutritionist Reema Kinjalkar’s go-to healthy pasta recipe a try!
For a Vegetable pasta, you would need the following items.
- 1 cup noodles
- Vegetables of choice—onion , carrots , garlic, broccoli, asparagus.
- Flavouring as needed (oregano , chilli flakes)
- Tomato puree -1/2 cup
- Bring water to a boil in a large pan. Add salt and a little oil to it.
- When the water begins to boil rapidly, add the pasta and cook till it becomes slightly firm.
- Drain into colander.
- Heat oil in a sauce pan and add garlic, chopped onions and saute them. Add the tomato puree to this.
- You can add any vegetables of your choice. Don't cook the vegetables completely, let them be a little raw.
- Add pasta and some seasoning.
- Cook for 1 – 2 minutes.
- Your easy and healthy pasta is ready!